The large circles without fishing are almost always Exclusive Economic Zones (EEZs) around islands that heavily restrict or prohibit fishing (if you turn on the EEZ Layer in the Global Fishing Watch map, you will see that they often line up with these blank areas). The circles could also be Marine Protected Areas (MPAs) that prohibit fishing – you can turn on the MPA layers to see if that’s the case.
Why are there large circles in which there is no apparent fishing?Why are there large circles in which there is no apparent fishing?
- How do I view different parts of the world?
- Can I download raw AIS data?
- What vessels are required to use AIS? What are global regulations and requirements for vessels to carry AIS?
- What are the different vessel tracking systems out there and how can they be used together?
- Which browser can I use to access the Global Fishing Watch map?