Last Modified: May 25, 2018
Thank you for exploring the Global Fishing Watch Beta release. Global Fishing Watch respects your privacy rights and recognizes the importance of protecting the information we collect about you. This policy statement tells you how we collect information from you and how we use it.
Personal Information Defined. Global Fishing Watch considers “Personal Information” to include information that alone or when in combination with other information may be used to readily identify, contact or locate you, such as: name, address, email address or phone number. Global Fishing Watch does not consider Personal Information to include information that has been anonymized so that it does not allow a third party to easily identify a specific individual.
You have voluntarily established a business relationship with Global Fishing Watch. As part of that relationship, you may have shared certain Personal Information, including your email address. As part of your participation in evaluating this Beta release, Global Fishing Watch will only collect further Personal Information from you when you voluntarily:
- submit feedback and comments;
- complete surveys;
- sign up for our newsletter; or
- update or add to your Personal Information or Global Fishing Watch Profile.
When you submit Personal Information under these circumstances, you will receive a confirmation email that will give you the option of choosing not to receive further emails from us.
Global Fishing Watch may also collect demographic information from visitors, such as geographic location or what platforms you own. This information helps us to improve our online offerings and allows us to tailor information to your preferences.
We track website usage data to improve our website. We collect user traffic patterns throughout our website using web logs, cookies and similar technologies. This information is collected to help improve website flow and usability. In addition, when we send emails to our members and supporters, we track information on clicks-through to our website, including IP addresses. This is done to gauge the effectiveness of our marketing campaigns and to discourage fraudulent use.
This website is not intended for children under 13 years of age and Global Fishing Watch does not knowingly collect, maintain or use any Personal Information from children under 13 years of age. If we become aware that we have collected any Personal Information from children under 13, we will promptly delete such information from our databases. If you are a parent or guardian and discover that your child under the age of 13 has used the website, then you may alert us at email@example.com and request that we delete that child’s Personal Information from our systems.
We make a good faith effort to provide you with access to your Personal Information to correct data that may be inaccurate or delete data at your request. If you would like to review the information in our files, correct it, withdraw it, or ask Global Fishing Watch to refrain from sending you information in the future, please contact us by e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org, by calling Samantha Emmert at +1 202.800.2928, or by writing to the postal address listed below.
DATA TRANSFER AND SHARING
Global Fishing Watch does not rent, sell or share Personal Information collected on this website with third parties except as follows. We may share user information with our Global Fishing Watch founding partners Oceana, Inc., SkyTruth, and Google Inc., subject to their respective privacy policies, which can be found at Oceana, SkyTruth and Google Policies. Global Fishing Watch may provide Personal Information to or permit access to Personal Information by vendors and service providers who are contracted to help us administer this website. These service providers may process Personal Information on our behalf or use Personal Information to assist Global Fishing Watch in administering this website. We may also disclose user information in special cases when we have reason to believe that disclosing this information is necessary to identify, contact or bring legal action against someone who may be causing injury to or interference with (either intentionally or unintentionally) Global Fishing Watch’s rights or property, other Global Fishing Watch users or anyone else who could be harmed by such activities.
REORGANIZATION OF GLOBAL FISHING WATCH
If Global Fishing Watch should ever file for bankruptcy or have its assets sold to or merged with another entity, information Global Fishing Watch receives from you shall be treated as a Global Fishing Watch asset and may be transferred as part of any such transactions.
AFFILIATED WEBSITES, OTHER WEBSITES, AND ADVERTISEMENTS
INTERNATIONAL VISITORS AND CUSTOMERS
With respect to visitors from the European Union (EU), the following applies at the time of any data collection:
- We collect data from our users for a variety of reasons, including to:
- Allow access to certain data, posting in the Global Fishing Watch community and sending content that may be of interest, such as email newsletters about new data and features;
- Send emails with news and updates about Global Fishing Watch;
- Monitor website traffic and improve the user experience;
- Personalize content and identify authors who post in the Global Fishing Watch community;
- Process donations to Global Fishing Watch;
- Respond to user support inquiries.
- We only collect data from or contact users who have provided their informed consent. Users have the right to withdraw consent anytime by updating their user preferences or sending an email to email@example.com.
- Global Fishing Watch shares certain user data under contract with certain 3rd party service providers for the sole purpose of facilitating Global Fishing Watch’s permitted uses of the data, such as as Salesforce, Donorbox, Stripe, Paypal, Google Analytics, etc., subject to their privacy policies. Except in cases of users requesting that we delete their user data, we will periodically review user subscription preferences, email open rates, website visits or other interactions with Global Fishing Watch to determine when to delete user data of inactive users.
- Users have the right to request access to and request correction or deletion of their personal data upon request by sending an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Users have the right to lodge a complaint with the supervising authority of their respective country or other jurisdiction.
- Provision of user data is not a contractual requirement of using Global Fishing Watch, or a requirement necessary to enter into a contract with Global Fishing Watch. Users are not obliged to provide user data and the only potential consequences of not doing so may be to forgo the opportunity to access certain Global Fishing Watch data, other content or features.
CHANGES AND UPDATES
CONTACTING GLOBAL FISHING WATCH
Global Fishing Watch, Inc. is a Delaware 501(c)(3) nonprofit corporation located at:
1025 Connecticut Avenue, NW
Washington, DC 20036
YOUR ACCEPTANCE OF THESE TERMS