Regional fisheries management organizations (RFMOs) manage fisheries beyond national jurisdictions. RFMOs are composed of flag States, coastal States, and port States that surround the boundaries of the RFMO’s jurisdiction or have vessels involved in activity within that jurisdiction. There are five RFMOs that focus on the management and conservation of tuna species. They are:
- Commission for the Conservation of Southern Bluefin Tuna (CCSBT)
- Inter-American-Tropical-Tuna Commission (IATTC)
- International Commission for the Conservation of Atlantic Tunas (ICCAT)
- Indian Ocean Tuna Commission (IOTC)
- Western Central Pacific Fisheries Commission (WCPFC)
An overview of the transshipment policies of the 5 tuna RFMOs can be found here.