Global Fishing Watch believes that fishing should be fully transparent. Transparency does not have to be instantaneous. A delay to the public dissemination is entirely reasonable, but the dissemination must contain the information needed to make the activity of the vessel and the catch clearly understood. It is the fact that fishers are aware that their activity will be made public that drives compliant behaviour across fisheries, such that the honest fishers are not left disadvantaged by those that flaunt the regulations.
How transparent should fishing be?How transparent should fishing be?
- How do I view different parts of the world?
- What vessels are required to use AIS? What are global regulations and requirements for vessels to carry AIS?
- Can I download raw AIS data?
- What are the different vessel tracking systems out there and how can they be used together?
- Which browser can I use to access the Global Fishing Watch map?