Global Fishing Watch aims to improve the public understanding of where global fishing occurs by providing a free to access fishing activity map. We want to provide for those global citizens motivated to investigate fishing activity in areas of interest and we know that some individuals have monitored their local marine protected areas with Global Fishing Watch information. It is important to note, however, that identifying illegal fishing activity is a trained skill and activity that looks suspicious requires detailed and thorough investigation before it can be labelled illegal.
Can citizen watchdogs use GFW to monitor fishing activity?Can citizen watchdogs use GFW to monitor fishing activity?
- How do I view different parts of the world?
- What vessels are required to use AIS? What are global regulations and requirements for vessels to carry AIS?
- Can I download raw AIS data?
- What are the different vessel tracking systems out there and how can they be used together?
- Which browser can I use to access the Global Fishing Watch map?